Since its launch in 2017,
CARS has covered more than 1,500 miles transporting over 100 clients to medical appointments, job interviews, Project Share (food bank), school meetings, career training services, and the Social Security and Welfare offices.
Carlisle Area Ride Service (CARS) is a free service provided by volunteers to low-income residents with limited access to transportation.
Since its launch in 2017, CARS has covered more than 1,500 miles transporting over 100 clients to medical appointments, job interviews, Project Share (food bank), school meetings, career training services, and the Social Security and Welfare offices.
Over a period of a year and a half, these are just a few of our stories:
- We have taken many people to job interviews and helped them get back to work.
- We have helped a mother of four get food for her children from Project Share.
- We have helped a mother take her young son to counseling, every week for over a year and saved them from walking 5 miles round trip.
- We have brought home from hospital two mothers and their babies a day after delivering.
- We have helped women and their children from the Domestic Violence Shelter re-settle in Carlisle.
- We have helped people get to the pharmacy to get their medications.
- We have helped numerous people get connected with Rabbit Transit so they can get free medical rides they were eligible for but did not know.
- We have helped three riders get to the clinic in Camp Hill so they can get treatment for their opioid addiction.
- We have helped a woman experiencing homelessness get to an apartment in Shippensburg.
- We have helped a veteran get to various appointments that assisted in finding him housing in Perry County.
CARS volunteer drivers, mostly retirees, are dedicated to help ensure that lack of transportation is not a barrier to good health, wellbeing and success. Local social service organizations (including Community CARES, Domestic Violence, Safe Harbor, Salvation Army, Career Link, and Cumberland County Housing) have referred their clients to CARS for transportation support.